Wednesday, October 16, 2013

THE DOs AND DONTs OF AFRICAN HAIR.

DOs 

  1. use natural oils such as jojoba, avocado, coconut, extra virgin oil, grape-seed oil and Shea butter. our hair type needs natural oils to thrive and they work best.
  2. wash hair with shampoo at least once a month, some people say at least once a week at the end of the day i say do what ever works for you because you alone know how well your hair responds. but its always best to avoid shampoos that have sulphate in them cause they strip our hair of its natural oil and this causes dryness,after wash always use a conditioner.
  3. always do a protein treatment/ deep condition with heat at least once month better still every 2 weeks.this enables the cuticles to open up and thereby allowing the moisture to break into the hair shaft.
  4.  use a wide tooth comb, this helps combing hair easier and this limits breakage, but you should always  use your fingers to detangle the knots on hair which forms after taking down braids or weaves. this really plays a strong part in retaining length.
  5. Avoid holding hair in tight pony tails its very bad for your edges it causes thinning of the edges and take down ponytail holders before bedtime
  6. avoid using too much heat on your hair, flat irons , blow drying or hot tongs
  7. oil the scalp and massage  to allow blood flow this stimulates growth.
  8. use satin/silk head cover at night and avoid cotton pillow cases because the strip our hair of moisture/
  9. drink plenty water, exercise and eat healthy to promote growth and healthy hair  

DONTs
  1. wash your hair everyday, this make your hair texture brittle and dry, hence prone to breakage.
  2. never use grease or petroleum based products, they clog the pores in the scalp thereby inhibiting hair growth. 
  3. use rubber bands to secure ponytails use elastics or bands covered. rubber bands can cause massive breakage and split ends. elastics and covered bands are more gentle to fragile hair strands 
  4. braid hair too tightly, or braid tight cornrows this causes hair line to recede: means balding or thinning of the edges.
  5. comb hair from root to end, instead grip the hair root and comb out this will prevent unnecessary hair loss.
  6. excessively place hair under heat. heat dries out hair leaving it brittle and dry which equals to damaged hair.
  7. use heavy gel with alcohol, hair spray or mousse, they weigh the hair down, break the hair and most importantly clog the scalp pores. 

40 comments:

  1. Great post! I started my hair journey in April and after reading tips like these I can definitely feel the difference :)

    Thanks for commenting on my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u are welcome dear and tanks for stopping by. lets all keep growing healthier hair.

      Delete
  2. Good Tipps!
    I also use some of them already :)
    x
    fabeau-trends.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely taking some mental notes. Thx for this! Hope you're doing good :)?

    xoxo Gozika
    http://gozikasjournal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am doing good dear, so pleased to see you here.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post girl. I am natural too and I need some tips and tricks for protective styles.

    Thanks again for the comment on my blog.

    http://spendlessusemore.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dear for your kind words. since am still very new to been natural i try to where my hair in braids. will definitely post on tips and tricks for protective styling.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I was literally pulling my newly self-done yarn braids to see if I had secured them too tight as I sat on the toilet seat reading this. lol. Feel free to visit my blog. myrebornhair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEFINITELY VISITING. thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. These are all fab points! I love coconut oil on my natural hair. It seems to be what works best for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your site. Since I am wearing natural hair. I will be getting my tips here. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dear. glad you visited. how is david and little miss sunshine his sister.#

      Delete
  8. I love your blog! I've been thinking about going natural for a while... Feeling inspired. Are you on bloglovin? I'd like to follow you :)
    www.happygirlsshine.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl, pls do start your hair journey so we can grow healthier hair together. am still so new with the blogging thing. not on bloglovin but will figure out how to do that

      Delete
  9. Very informative post. I completely agree with all the points especially the use of natural oils.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    www.stylefash25.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how your post are really informative.. Great tips.
    Tanaka x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am glad you found the tips useful. tanks for visiting.

      Delete
  11. Learning a lot! Thanks for putting up this blog. I have been natural for about 6 months and I don't miss my relaxed hair at all

    ReplyDelete
  12. u are welcome dear. am also transtioning from relaxed to natural. thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog..I see you have done alot research thats really good.
    Keep up the good work. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u are welcome sugar. i did a lot of research cos my hair was terribly damaged. thanks for the visit, i appreciate

      Delete
  14. Nice one Dear. Keep it Up
    http://sleek-lady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. dearie, a really great indepth on going natural... I love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. great points.. one thing that cant be healthy as well is when people go months without washing their hair, i know they say it works for their hair but it doesnt seem hygenic lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dear. yes its not just healthy to go months without washing the hair, cos that's one of the best ways of moisturising your hair fully.

      Delete
  17. Hi I would like to know what's protein treatment and if I can use it on relaxed hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i believe protein treatment is a type of hair conditioning treatment that helps to strength the hair, cos our hair is basically madeup of protein and it would be nice to treat it with protein.
      and yes it beneficial to do this treatment on relaxed and natural hair.

      Delete
  18. Keep the good work sis,visiting the blog for the first time and I'm amazed because most of the things here are opening my eyes. Knowledge they say is power. More power to your elbow sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much sis. really appreciate your visit. yes my dear knowledge they say is power.XOXO

      Delete
  19. Great Tips.I like ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I thought I was the only Nigerian thinking about going natural. Good to have a sis who loves to rock natural hair. Now I know where to come for natural hair tips! Thanks for sharing .www.chavivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much sweetheart, you are definitely not alone.
      let prove that our natural african hair can grow long.

      Delete
  21. Great great tips...thanks a lot dearie. http://inspireoma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...